iamjillroberts, slim paley, mrs. lilien

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Love and Bird Cages...







"I am grateful to have been loved and to be loved now and to be able to love, because that liberates. Love liberates. It doesn't just hold—that's ego. Love liberates. It doesn't bind. Love says, 'I love you. I love you if you're in China. I love you if you're across town. I love you if you're in Harlem. I love you. I would like to be near you. I'd like to have your arms around me. I'd like to hear your voice in my ear. But that's not possible now, so I love you. Go.'" — Dr. Maya Angelou






I recently caught the last half of Maya Angelou's episode of Masterclass on the OWN network and was reminded of why she is so amazing..(I highly recommend you go to the website and find this episode of Masterclass..You can watch the whole episode... so great)   Her thinking is so uncluttered - her message so clear and simple -  and her advice, so life affirming.. In the segment I saw she remembers some of her conversations with her mother... Ones that have left a lasting and loving impression on her life..  It made me think about what it might be like in the future - when my kids are older..and the letting go that will be required to let them grow. To spread their wings and fly ..to use a very, very obvious metaphor.  I am dreading that time..and my heart goes out to anyone who has to do that kind of letting go now..  I know her words apply to so many other situations too.    Relationships.. ..and/or people we need to release..set free..For our own growth and theirs.. We can all relate in one way or another.  Dr. Angelou's words were so comforting to the future me..So I will hold on to them..I will apply them to the little "letting go's" I now experience with my daughters in their 6 and 4 year old day to day..Remembering that those small ones...those mini "letting go's"  feel as dramatic to them now, as they will one day feel for me.  But like she teaches us..love doesn't bind....(Like the cage may bind the bird..if you will)  "Love liberates" as she reminds us.. and let's us love that bird wherever it goes..

These analogies and references to birds and cages, etc..  got me thinking about the metaphor of the Caged Bird....Gilded cages..Nicolas Cage   (oh, wait..I am  starting to sound like a Google search)  ..Bird themes in general.   I like birds just fine..but I don't really want to have any of my own.  Bird cages, on the other the hand..I do like..not sure why.  Maybe a bird -less cage makes me  feel comfortable..reminds me that whichever bird it was meant for, is now free....Yes, a bird-less cage represents "freedom"...(Wow, how pretentious is that!!!)   But I do love the look of an old oriental birdcage.. Maybe like a little doll house for birds.. I was curious... so I did some homework....here is a little of what I found..


Birds were always considered mysterious and beautiful..and crude cages have existed for thousands of years..The Egyptians seemed to appreciate doves and parrots as they are depicted in hieroglyphics...


The history of the "birdcage" as a "work of historical art" really dates back to 17th century Dutch.. Neat..so I did a little more digging..

the 17th century Dutch painting I found..:)



....by the 18th century they were very popular and fashionable particularly among the rich.  Their designs were primarily influenced by the French....who led the way in decorating and landscape designs..(those wacky french) .They were often designed to resemble chateaus, temples, cathedrals..In England many were fashioned to resemble the former royal residence, Brighton Pavilion outside London................Interesting..


Brighton Pavilion

From Spain..
Temple Bird cage..



During the reign of Napoleon III.. the very fancy architectural birdcages really became popular..follow me ..




Dutch again..

French

?

definitely French..
Wow..Via 1st dibs

Amazing bird "building"..via 1st dibs


In the 1730's the Dollhouse Birdcages looked like country mansions.....cool..




Cute...This is a new one..



Very impressive...(old one)

                                       It's like a cute little neighborhood! We need a bird cage Realty!


Also new...




        By Cagesbydesign.com
"Come on over Tweety.."















Birdcage Bed Frame..via Domino
Anthropologie Canopy bed

Had to throw in a little Mary...Via Mary McDonald



Alexander McQueen


The Mynah was considered sacred in India...

Fendi Fall 2011
Max and Chloe earrings $352


Alexander McQueen Spring 11

Avedon cover 1960's

I love peacocks, btw..

Vintage Bookends..1st dibs...You may see these in a future bookend post..(I love cool, different bookends..but I digress)


Cozy Dennis Basso



Plump little Dove...


Though I am very, very disappointed by Galliano's recent, "alleged" behavior..his Spring Collection was amazing....

Birdcage Candle Holder  $70 @ Gumps






More Spring 11 Dior

Pretty Pink Chandy Via Domino

Wendy Mink on Net-a-Porter


        The Birdcage Bible, if you will..Lots of History in here..But hard to find...I looked, by Leslie Garisto



=
Cool bookends to hold that birdcage book..via ebay

 Turquoise Nest ring via Etsy



Prada Fall 2011





Gucci Fall 2011





Moschino Fall 2011




New bird cage via Wistertia

Marni Fall 2011
      



Just such a great movie...






Via Gianneti Home

Pretty idea..Birdcage wall...



Tyler Hall Wallpaper..




Funny birdcage purse










Christian Dior





An example of a Garden Folly which many birdcages were designed to resemble..(I try..)




Monique Lhuillier Fall 11
Bird Over Stone Cocktail ring $28 Via Topshop



Dedon Lounger






                old chairs on 1st dibs

19th Century French Bird cage via Tara Shaw @ 1st dibs
$1,248.00 Yowza!



Judith Leiber ..look familiar?




Oscar de la Renta Spring 2011




Dior Spring 2011


French Market Cages..

The bags in their gilded cage are coveted objects..well, that is what I read...




"The Gilden Cage" by Evelyn De Morgan 1919

She just wants to be free!!!! ;)


                                                A little more on this "gilded cage" theme, shall we?



Bird Cage Necklace on Etsy
Pucci window..Spring 2010




at the Ballet


























The older birdcages in India were made out of bamboo


Peca Illum Light

A music box...huh! on Ebay
Ring Via Etsy
                                                         




Dior Couture Spring 2011
Old tin found on ebay...








Francois Boucher Rococo painting..

Proenza Schouler Spring 11



YSL





















Dior Spring 11..Insane!


Chanel plume brooch.. Just seemed appropriate..


Via The Caketress -Lori Hutchinson Designs










Hanging chair Via Anthropologie


Gucci Fall 2011



Prada Fall 2011



Great marketing still?
"The Birds" 1963












1960 Pucci...looks like a BIG bird..


 

                                                             Oh, and then there is this...



First to fall over when the atmosphere
is less than perfect
Your sensibilities are shaken by the slightest defect
You live you life like a canary in a coalmine
You get so dizzy even walking in a straight line
You say you want to spend the winter in Firenza
You're so afraid to catch a dose of influenza
You live your life like a canary in a coalmine
You get so dizzy even walking in a straight line
Canary in a coalmine
Canary in a coalmine
Canary in a coalmine

Via..The Police....If the poor little Canary didn't pass out when sent into the mine..The Miners could go ahead and start mining..
Library lanterns..


Valentino 2010


And since it's raining again...




                                                         And before I go..I leave you with....







                                                      Thanks everybody..until next time.. xoxox






I  like to think of the birds all out flying free...."I love you, go!"





3 comments:

  1. Incredible post, and extraordinary site. A debt of gratitude is in order for the data!
    large guinea pig cages

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first visit to your web journal! We are a group of volunteers and new activities in the same specialty. Website gave us helpful data to work. bird aviary for sale

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your post. It is good to see you verbalize from the heart and clarity on this important subject can be easily observed... cheap bird aviary

    ReplyDelete